Makes up to 8 Servings
1 cup Self rising Cornmeal
1/2 cup Self rising Flour
2 large Eggs - beaten
1 1/3 cups of Buttermilk
1 Tablespoon Shortening or Butter - Melted
1 1/2 Cups Cracklings
- Preheat oven to 400 f degrees.
- Spray a 9 inch iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place skillet in oven while preheating.
- In medium bowl, combine cornmeal and flour.
- Stir in eggs and buttermilk until well blended.
- Add shortening and cracklings.
- Pour into hot skillet and bake for 35-45 minutes. golden brown.
Cracklings are crunchy pieces of either pork or poultry fat that has been rendered or the crisp skin of fried or roasted pork. Package cracklings are sold in some supermarkets.